I began by testing out the paint scheme by painting the corner house. I went with successively lighter shades of beige for the daub, and decided to give it a newer look by painting the timber brown instead of grey.
Once I was happy with the color scheme I moved on to constructing the main buildings. I cut out the shapes of the buildings and glued them to a base. Then I attached the side walls and began to add the timbers and windows. Repeating the same process as before, I put sculptamold in between the timbers.
As the sculptamold was drying I took a sculpting tool an drew cracks into some of the “daub.” In some places I took those cracks and drew in places with where the “daub” has flaked away and left the “wattle” exposed. To create that look, I repeatedly used my flat sculpting tool to create series of horizontal and vertical has marks in the scultpamold. The resulting look is a very convincing representation of what looks like woven sticks behind the covering of clay that is the out layer of daub.
Once the exhaustive process of laying the timbers, placing the windows, and adding in the daub were complete, it was time to move on to the painting step. This one was much more fun and went relatively quickly. I copied the painting scheme that I use in the corner building. A base coat of black, then successively lighter shades of beige drybrusing for the daub. The same base coat for the timbers, followed by burnt umber, and a light honey brown drybrush. Once painted, i was able to lay it in place and take some pictures. I haven’t glued it in finally, as I want to be able to work on the roofs before finalizing any of the pieces in place.
Next up: Slate roofs and chimneys