Part 4 brings us the roof sections. Using my standard method, I began by creating a cardboard base, then I cut a ton of shingle strips and began affixing them to the roof base. I deviated a bit from my usual method, by leaving the shingles the same length and not cutting to different lengths. My reasoning here is that I am going for a more well taken care of building and want the roof to look more put together. I did try and keep things looking a little rough and uneven, as I am trying to simulate hand made shingles. I also left out a few shingles as I do want it to look a little worn.
Gluing the shingles took time, but I eventually finished and was able to move on to the eaves. For the fascia, I took balsa strips and cut them down to make an edge, then glued them to the roof. Inside that, I laid down a thinner layer of balsa sheet to make the soffits. I etched in lines to make it look like the soffits were made of individual boards rather than single sheets.
For the Chimneys I used my new hot wire jigsaw and cut long strips of foam. I took two of them and cut them in two pieces. then I cut thin strips of foam and glued those strips in between the two newly cut sections before reattaching the section back together. My attempt here is to create a fancier looking chimney that looks like it has some nice brick detail on it. I also glued some cut off drinking straws and glued them to the top to add another level of detail.
Once the chimneys were assembled, I carved in the same stone pattern I used in the base. Following that I then used the same paint scheme and again filled in the space between the stones with spackle. TO finish them off, I gave them a series of green, brown and black washes to simulate smoke residue ad other weathering.
Once the chimneys and the roofs were complete, I cut holes in the roofs to fit the chimneys and primed the roofs black. Then it was time to put the final coats of paint on everything. Lighter and lighter drybrushed coats of grey on the shingles, and lightening shades of brown on the eaves to match the wood on the timbers of the building.
Next up: (Hopefully) the home stretch! Final assembly of all the pieces, and some detail work. Also, if I can manage it, some sort of frame for the base as well as the pouring of the canal.