Part 5 (finally) brings us to some of the detail work on this project.
1. First up, the lead flashing around the chimneys and roof lines. In order to create this look, I knew it would have to be a thin and pliable material. For this reason I went with plain white copy paper. It is thin, cheap, and will mold itself to the shingles in much the same way as lead would on a real roof.
I started by cutting the paper into strips, then making some diagonal cuts so that it would fit the angle of the roof and the chimney. From there, I took watered down PVA glue on a brush and slopped it onto the paper to the point where it became saturated. This helped the paper really stick to the chimney and the roof the way that lead flashing would.
Then I painted it black and gave it a very slight dark grey drybrush.
2. The next bit of detail are the signs. I wanted each house to have a sign showing that the downstairs floor had a trade shop or tavern of some kind. I decided that I would make three signs, one for each of the corner buildings and one for the bigger of the two middle buildings. I left the smaller middle building alone.
I wanted to create a fancy wrought iron look to the signs as well as have a variety of looks. To that end I picked up a couple of charm bracelet charms to use as the signs from the local craft store: a cup and a key. For the last sign, I cut a square of balsa to use as a flat wooden sign.
For the wrought iron I used plastic rod and plastic strips which I heated up to a melting point with a heat gun, then twisted into curly cues. This was actually quite challenging and took some practice, but I was eventually able to get a few pieces which looked good when I glued them together. As I was working I added chains to the board so that it could hang appropriately, and also inserted the charms into the other two signs as well.
Then it was time to attach them to the building:
I’m hoping that this one is finally almost done. I will be adding some vegetation here and there along with some ivy up the far wall. After that I hope to pour the base and add on the frame around the base. It’s nice to be back, but I’m looking forward to getting this one off of my workbench and begin to move on to other projects.